Friday, April 17, 2009

199/365 - Jim - Big Dipper

( f/8 26mm 900 sec ISO 200 Nikon D300 )
I set out to get some star trails, but my first photo turned out horrible. I wasn't sure of good settings to try and keep the noise down, so I set what I thought would work and left the camera outside for an hour. Turned out I was completely wrong. So I went back out and at least got a few more. This one was pointed directly at the big dipper for 15 minutes. Then I thought it would be cool to connect the lines and use red/blue for the 3D effect. It's kind of interesting to be able to see the movement and the shape of the dipper over time. Actually it's Earth that is moving, so it would be our movement relative to the stars... Anyway, I also did a little 3D text effect in Photoshop just for fun while I was waiting for the long exposure.

No comments: