Monday, October 13, 2008

014/365 - Jim - Self Portrait

( f/8 44mm 1/320 sec ISO 200 Nikon D300 )

Ok, this is actually two photos that were merged together. Here is how I did it. I hung this mirror from fishing line in front of the red wall that I used for the guitar picture. Then I focused on the center and took a shot at f/8 of myself in the mirror. This made sure my face was in focus. Then I moved the focal point to the frame and shot that at f/4.5 to ensure the red wall was not in focus. I merged the photos in Paint Shop Pro and removed the fishing line with the clone tool. It was way harder than I thought it would be, but I wanted to be creative...

So, today the theme is self portrait. It was also intended to give you a little background information about Matt and myself. My name is Jim Callender, I am 32 years old and married with 1 son. Not for long though, because my wife is due in December with our 2nd son.

I got into photography a long time ago when I purchased my first digital camera, which was the Minolta Dimage 7i. A couple years ago I then upgraded to a DSLR camera with the Nikon D40x. After a year of using that camera, I was totally addicted. I sold it and pre-ordered the Nikon D300. My addiction didn't stop there and I kept adding to my lens collection and studio flashes, etc...

For the most part I have mostly taken pictures of my son and posted them on his blog. This blog was created to jump start my photography and creativity skills. So far after only 14 days, I think it is working. It is also a learning experience and not a competition between Matt and I, even though some commenters have chosen winners :)

I work with Matt and one day he asked me what camera he should purchase. I totally confused him with my theories about camera addiction and if he really gets into it, then he should purchase a better camera so he doesn't want an upgrade in 6 months :) But he settled on a nice camera and is learning very quickly.

Thanks to everyone who is following and commenting. Only 351 more days to go.

5 comments:

smochko127 said...

geeeez Jim, you're a maniac!!! this is really cool.

Carol said...

Wow, pretty long post! A maniac is a good word...nice picture though.

Courtney said...

Cool idea, you are really into it.
Did you two come up with the daily themes or did you find them somewhere? Do you take suggestions?

Jim said...

We just came up with them and added them to the calendar as we thought of them. No specific order so we change and rearrange them as we see fit.

Yeah we'll take suggestions.

joyce said...

That is a good mug shot of you, son.
It looks like a professional did it.
But of course I am not trying to take away from your talent :)