Monday, December 1, 2008

063/365 - Jim - Christmas Photo Example

( f/2.8 70mm 1/5 sec ISO 200 Nikon D300 )
I did not adhere to the theme today because I wanted to try something. A friend from work tried to take some photos of his kids in front of their Christmas tree. He said they all turned out crappy and asked for advice. I recommended him setting the aperture to f/2.8 and use a flash set in rear curtain. Looking at his EXIF information, his camera automatically was set to f/2.8, but his flash did not fire. I also was thinking that the kids should be about 5 or so feet away from the tree so that the depth of field would only be on the kids and the tree lights would have a nice bokeh. That is just a personal preference and I tried it in this shot. The only thing I did not do was use a flash. Since the lights in the room are a different temperature than the flash and I didn't want to go find a gel, I just didn't use it. I tried once or twice and the background was just too yellow. Using the available light I was only able to get my shutter to 1/5 sec. So Jameson had to be very still or any movement would cause blur. Luckily he is entranced while watching TV. I plan on trying some more things and using a better flash to see what I can come up with. A little research will probably help too.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

He's so cute. He loves his shows!

Carol said...

he is cute, not very holiday ready, but cute picture and the tree looks great in the background..too bad the couch is there too.

joyce said...

Yeah...I told Jim it would have been good to have that green crushed velvet material covering up the couch.
I really like the effect with the tree in the background.