Friday, January 2, 2009

095/365 - Jim - Studio Flashes

( f/5 22mm 1/60 sec ISO 200 Nikon D300 )
Theme is photography equipment. When I refer to my studio flashes, these are what I'm talking about. They are Alienbee strobes and I have all three that they offer. The B400, B800, and the B1600 are named for their effective watts. I have used one or more of these flashes for most of the photos on this blog, so they have been well worth the money. I also have several light modifiers. In the background, even though it's hard to see properly, is a large softbox (32" x 40") and I have two of these. They are extremely useful for producing the soft shadows. On the bottom left is a honeycomb grid spot. This allows me to produce spots of light behind the subject or can be used as a hair light for portraits. On the right side is a snoot which limits the output light to a small circle. I have used it for background spots and vignetting. The little unit in the center is a remote. All the flashes have a phone cord connection which goes into this LG4X remote unit. Then I can set the power of each flash from a central place. Hopefully one day I will be able to get something wireless. I see that RadioPopper is working on something that can control the Alienbee flashes without wires. That would be nice.

2 comments:

joyce said...

That looks like an expensive picture but has created some really awsome pictures.

Anonymous said...

yes, jim i love your camera stuff too they help you create and bring alot of joy to my life.