Saturday, January 10, 2009

103/365 - Jim - Severe Winter Warning

( f/14 70mm 1/125 sec ISO 200 Nikon D300 )
I went against the theme today because we got a large amount of snow overnight. I'd say we have at least 8" so far and it is supposed to keep snowing all day. Taking snow pictures is not easy. Without a flash the snowflakes just blur and produce an image that looks like it is very low contrast. For this shot I used my Alienbee B1600 at full power pointed out my back door. Then shot all the way zoomed in at my shed at a higher f stop to get a larger focus area for the snow flakes. The flash pretty much froze the flakes and you are able to see what it really looked like.

1 comment:

joyce said...

That is a one awsome shot.
The only thing that would make that shot more awsome is if a deer was standing right by the shed.

I sure wish it would be warmer because it would be such a cool day for a 2 year old to be sled riding.