Monday, February 16, 2009

140/365 - Jim - Valentine Brownie

( f/4 38mm 1/125 sec ISO 200 Nikon D300 )
My mother made some brownies for church yesterday. She cut them out in heart shapes and drizzled white chocolate on them, then added a heart on top with red chocolate. She brought us some to eat and there were only two left when my wife suggested I take pictures of them. I grabbed my copy of The Digital Photography Book, Volume 2 by Scott Kelby and read the page where he describes how to do food photos. He suggests using a close-up lens, so I put the Canon 500D on my 24-70mm f/2.8 lens. Then used it at f/4 to blur everything but the brownie. Scott suggests sitting by a window to get natural light, but it was dark when I shot this, so I used a flash with softbox to the side and a little behind. There were quite a few shots that I liked, so I made them into a collage with Picasa. If you are an amateur photographer, I highly recommend the two Digital Photography books by Scott Kelby. You can get Vol 1 & 2 for just under $30. They are super easy to read and have an example photo on every page.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Nice, I like the collage idea. I like the one with the fork best. The brownies were yummy too!

Anonymous said...

love these pictures, wish i could have tasted these brownies, i am sure they were soooo good.