Monday, September 14, 2009

350/365 - Jim - Amuse-bouche

( f/4.5 50mm 1/125 sec ISO 200 Nikon D300 )
I made a dinner for my mother for her birthday today. Her birthday was actually on the 6th, but I was in Canada, so I missed it. This is an amuse-bouche, which translates to "mouth amuser". It is a single, bite-sized hors d’œuvre. I marinated shrimp in olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme. Then boiled red potatoes until they were soft. Sliced them into two and scooped out the guts. Then filled them with a mixture of cream cheesem, sour cream, salt, pepper, and more thyme. I dried off the shrimp with a paper towel and put them on the potato. Voilà! It tasted pretty good too. I paired it with a filet mignon that I got from Bona Terra. If you haven't eaten there and are in the Pittsburgh area, I highly recommend you go.

6 comments:

Sherri said...

I would like the potato part, just not the shrimp. You only have 15 more. When you do your book.....will you publish the photo and description (obviously)then I think you should maybe throw in some creative comments that you have received on particular photos. Just a thought. Oh and the dinner I had for mom on her birthday....was the hospital food:) I guess you beat me this year.

Courtney said...

Looks yummy!

cyn said...

looks great, i'm jealous, mother trumps mother in law, i get that, keep up the good work, you are a terrific son and son in law.

Courtney said...

When are we going back to Bona Terra? Do they sell steaks there to take home and cook?

Jim said...

I really want to go back! Whenever you're home and we have a babysitter... No, you gotta know someone to get the steaks.

joyce said...

It was a very delicious steak and meal....thanks Jim!!!