Monday, March 9, 2009

161/365 - Jim - Moon gets in way of perfect V

( f/2.8 70mm 1/160 sec ISO 800 Nikon D300 )
It was perfect. I went out on the deck and heard geese in the distance. I quickly set my camera to get a better shutter speed by turning up the ISO and setting it to Shutter priority. The geese went right over top of me and I snapped away. You might be thinking "Wow, and the moon just happened to be there too and you just happened to get an awesome exposure." Nope, I faked you out. I did take a nicely exposed photo of the moon, but the moon is bright, so the sky was very black. But how did you get the moon in there then? My camera has a photo merge feature. I take 2 pictures, choose them, and hit merge. It's very simple and works really well with moon photos because of the sky being all black. Here is a tip for anyone with a Nikon DSLR, zoom in on the moon as far as you can go and take a photo. Then take another photo of a cityscape zoomed out. Merge the two and you have an unreal looking HUGE moon. And unless they read this, they won't know you cheated.

3 comments:

Carol said...

awesome sky!

Anonymous said...

Picture is too far away, and off centered, closer view of the birds would have been cool.

Anonymous said...

sherri's classroom is harsh, i think it's really cool.