Sunday, March 29, 2009

181/365 - Jim - Bacon Wrapped Fillet

( f/8 27mm 1/125 sec ISO 200 Nikon D300 )
My wife got some fillets for dinner for me to cook. I didn't remember until about 4:30pm when I asked her what was for dinner. I was kindly reminded and told about a smashed red potato recipe that was on her computer. I went to take a look and immediately got started on the potatoes. I don't cook very often, but when I do it is usually something special. Once the potatoes were on the stove, I got the steaks out and cut all the fat off the outside that I could and salt and peppered them. Then I put bacon in the microwave for a minute to get it partially cooked and flat. The steak went onto a pan with butter in it to brown the outside. Then I wrapped the bacon on it with toothpicks and continued to cook with more butter and the lid on the pan. Once the potatoes were done I drained and added the minced sautéed garlic with butter and milk, and then smashed them. The steaks only cooked for about 3 or 4 minutes on each side and then they were removed to rest and get photographed. I took several shots very quickly so I could go eat it. When I got upstairs I added some crumbled blue cheese to the steak because it's so good! The last few steaks I have cooked were overdone, but this one was perfect medium to medium rare, just like I like it. Best meal I've had in a while, even though it took about an hour to make and only 10 minutes to eat.

4 comments:

Carol said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carol said...

Beautiful photo..it was a great meal and it did take longer than 10 minutes to eat!

I will be happy to plan all sorts of meals for you to photograph. Thanks so much for cooking!! Kind of makes up for the fact that we don't make it out to restaurants much lately.

Courtney said...

Looks yummy!

joyce said...

It was a very yummy meal.
And I feel very fortunate that I was able to partake in it and not just admire the photo.