Monday, November 3, 2008

035/365 - Jim - Rochester Cycle Poco

( f/8 200mm 1/160 sec ISO 200 Nikon D300 )
Theme is old. My grandpa gave me a bunch of his camera collection a while back. For this theme I knew I wanted to find one of the oldest ones and photograph it. I sat down and researched this camera for a while. My best guess is that it is a Rochester 4x5 Cycle Poco from 1896. That makes it 112 years old. The label must have fallen off the front because I saw photos of similar cameras with a label. The photographic shutter was made by Bausch & Lomb Optical Company and patented on Jan 6, 1891. To take a photo using this camera, one had to load a glass negative plate into the back and then take the photo. I'm not real sure how they were able to determine what shutter speed and aperture to use. Photography has come a long way since then.

3 comments:

Carol said...

Your photos look nice...good history lesson.

Courtney said...

They would make a cool series of framed photos for your "office".

joyce said...

The camera will look nice set up on a shelf in your studio someday.
Your camera made the old camera look very nice.